The bar manager is in charge of the commercial success of the bar and pub. Given the priority of the position, the bar manager has to handle a number of tasks on a daily basis.
He / She is in charge of the front house, staff recruitment and management, inventory control, accounts, and in charge of advertising, marketing, and promotional activities.
The bar manager must have a personal license.
They need to make sure the bar is running profitably, build good relationships with customers, and check if the bar is complying with food and safety regulations.
Basic Roles, Duties & Responsibilities of Bar Manager
- Being a bar manager, recruit and manage bar staffs
- Resolve customers’ complaints
- Being a bar manager, set objectives and make plans for bar
- Replenish and manage inventories
- Being a bar manager, explain the company’s policy, procedures and standards to staffs
- Create and present a financial report
- Organize marketing and promotional activities
- Being a bar manager, formulate and implement plans for cost control
- Communicate with sales representatives and suppliers
- Being a bar manager, check bar’s compliance with rules and regulations
In general, as a bar manager, the individual has to oversee all kinds of operations at the bar including supervising staffs, making sure product and service standards are met.
He/she is implementing various strategies for maximum efficiency.
Required Skills or Job Specifications for Bar Manager
Employers look for managers with the right experience and personality along with a good amount of experience in restaurant and bar works.
Here are some skills one must have to work as a bar manager:
- Good judgment and decision-making ability
- Thorough knowledge of catering and cellar management
- Ability to work under pressure
- Excellent leadership skills
- Look after customers’ requests
- Clean background in customer service
- Extensive knowledge of beverages and new trends in the same market
Qualification and Training of Bar Manager
Academic qualification isn’t necessary to enter this line of service, but a degree in business and management-related services will be advantageous.
They increase your odds and help you to move up easily. Some such relevant degrees are:
- Hospitality management
- Hotel and catering
- Business and hospitality
To work as a bar manager, an individual must acquire a license. To acquire the license, one must have an accredited licensing qualification, of course.
Some reputed bars and pubs also run graduate training programs in which you can join as assistant bar manager and work your way up through prearranged programs so that you learn everything there is to learn.
Employers of Bar Managers- Employment Opportunities of Bar Manger
- Bars, pubs, and other drinking places
- Restaurants and other eateries
- Wineries and breweries
- Pools and beach bars
The working hours most likely will be in evenings, weekends and holidays. Bartenders have to maintain a smart and neat appearance to leave a good impression on customers.
Above mentioned bar manager job description can be used for the below-mentioned designations as well
- Assistant Bar Manager Job Description
- Job Description of Bar Supervisor
Our Related Articles
- How to write a Job Description | Best Practices 2020-2021 |
- What is the Job Description of the Administrative Assistant| Updated Details
- Social Media Manager Job Description | Updated 2020-2022