Before going to discuss the animator job description, first, we need to understand who is an animator.
Who is Animator
Animations are artists who create multiple images called frames that provide the illusion of motion, called animation when displayed in high-speed order.
They mostly use puppets and painting historical maps to create the illusion of moving pictures for movies, computer games and music videos.
Animator produce films/videos for animation studios, video game companies and film production companies.
Usually, animator specializes in particular areas of interest such as motion graphics, stop motion, 3D animation and 2D animation.
What are the duties and responsibilities of an animator?
So, what do animators do? Here is the list of basic roles, duties, or responsibilities carried out by animators:
- Produce storyboards that reflect the script
- Being an animator, create precise frame by frame illustrations
- You will be responsible for creating multiple design drafts and collaborate with teams and stakeholders for final direction
- Design characters, environment, and backgrounds
- Expertise in software such as Maya, Flash, Cinema 4D, and LightWave
- Being an animator, Present designs to clients for assessment
- Bargain contracts
- Being an animator, Draw in 2D to produce sketches and artworks for illustrations
Animators should be able to be upbeat in selling their works and ideas to potential clients and customers.
However, it depends on whether you are freelancing, self-employed or working for a company.
Required Skills or Job Specifications for Animators
What skills do you need to be an animator? Animation is a very fast-growing business with vast prospects.
To build a reputation and get established in the business animators need to have special skills relevant to the field.
If you want to be an Animator, then below skills do you need to be an animator. Employers hire promising graduates and animators with the following skills:
- Experience in using animation software, such as Adobe Animate, Maya, Cinema 4D, or Blender
- Artistic and Technical Skills
- Excellent communication and Negotiation Skills
- Comfort presenting and explaining animations, storyboards, and designs to stakeholders
- Storytelling Ability
- Flexibility to toggle between multiple projects at a given time
- Have drawing skills (sculpting skills for stop-frame animation by using clay)
- Ability to work under pressure and within deadlines given by the clients
- General computer literacy, including experience with common operating systems (Windows, Linux, macOS)
- Aptitude for details
- Creativity and originality
- Must have excellent IT skills and modern trends in the market
Qualification and Training of Animator
Graduates from any academic background can pursue their career in animation. A degree in a related field such as illustration, graphic design, television, or film will set you up for entry in animation.
Post-Graduation Degree in animation or a related field will be an added advantage.
Although the work prospects are open to all competent graduates, the following list of degrees is especially relevant:
- Design and art
- 3D design
- Graphic design
- Spatial design
Graduates can apply for residency to raise the profile, build contacts, and portfolio. Residencies offer the chance to have the right to use facilities and working environment.
It also gives exposure and jumpstarts to work their way in business. The duration of residencies can last from two or three weeks to a few months.
Graduates have options to work on their own or work their way in professional industries and assist in projects.
Employers of Animators- Employment Companies
- Video game companies
- Film production studios
- Web design businesses
- Marketing businesses
- Feature films
- Music videos companies
Animators often work independently as filmmakers creating short films and aiming to win commissions from the animation commissioners at big broadcasting companies.
Managing to get a short film broadcast can escort to commission for a film, series, or music videos.
Freelancing is very popular and preferred nowadays. On the other hand, it takes a longer time and devotion to be established and gain reputation.
Above mentioned Animator Job Description can be used for below mentioned designations as well.
- 3D Animator Job Description
- 2D Animator Job Description
- Cartoon Animator Job Description
Our Related Articles